Monday, June 25, 2012

Garden To Cafe at the Manhattan School For Children (P.S. 333)

We were lucky to visit the greenhouse program at the Manhattan School For Children (P.S. 333)  This is a Garden to Cafe site that was created in 2008 by a small group of MSC parents and educators, inspired by New York Sun Works Science Barge.  




Here are the thoughts of the City-As-School students:


I think we should definitely mention the greenhouse in take action. We could even design a petition for people to use for their on schools. I think by just learning how harvesting and all that works really teaches the kids about quality food and the importance.
-Nikola

I think that parents should be informed about this greenhouse. If parents are aware, maybe they will suggest the idea of a greenhouse at their children's schools. It would be a good way for them to know that the foods their kids are eating is coming from a good place.
-Shannon

After attending the field trip to Manhattan School for Children, I felt surprised at the amount of resources and tools that the children had to their disposal. I hope that more greenhouses get put into schools in the city, and I hope that our APP can provoke that. I'm sure all the parents of the students know that there is a greenhouse in their child's school, however I think our APP can get them more interested/involved; encouraging the kids to be more enthusiastic about their opportunity.


When I first heard about Garden To Cafe, I expected to see a meager garden with mediocre equipment and very few plants growing. When I went to the Manhattan School for Children, I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only was the equipment in the greenhouse efficient and well-maintained and a variety of plants growing well and being properly taken care of, but that the kids were actively participating and having major jobs in maintaining the garden. The students seemed to be having fun while learning to the point where they were able to provide us with a lot of information about the methods they used to take care of the plants as well as the equipment they used. It really was a great example of how successful a program Garden To Cafe really is. - Dornel

I really enjoyed visiting the Garden To Cafe at the Manhattan School for Children.  It was a very beautiful site with a wonderful plethora of vegetables. I found it interesting how the school so fluidly connected science and gardening together in a real world and hands on environment where foods were being grown in about three completely different ways. I feel that the program is essential to turning our school food system around and it is a perfect example of an innovative and successful wellness program! ~Emma



No comments:

Post a Comment